The Water Resources Management Division (WRMD) of RTI International is a team of water resources engineers and scientists that provide environmental science solutions and leading-edge technology products to address the increasing demand for environmental decision support in an ever-changing world. Our core areas of technical expertise include hydrological and hydraulic modeling; river basin modeling, monitoring, and data analysis; watershed management; forecasting for flood, drought, and natural resources management; hydrologic hazards risk assessment, consequences analysis, and mitigation; climate change impact on water resources and adaptation methodologies; hydro-economics and ecosystem services; data management, systems integration, and web application development; and decision support systems (DSS). WRMD’s vision is “To be a global leader in water security; providing sustainable solutions through effective water resources management”.
This candidate will work with the water resources team to develop and execute our water resources business development strategy within RTI's Environment and Health Sciences (EHS) Research unit. Responsibilities will include supporting business development (BD) and managing proposal activity from early capture phases through proposal submission. The Hydropower BD Lead will report to the WRMD Business Development Director. This position will be based in either Fort Collins, CO; Research Triangle Park, NC; or Washington, DC.
This person will support WRMD staff in a range of activities including but not limited to:
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with client organizations, technical and trade representatives, and government agencies (e.g. Army Corps of Engineers, United States Bureau of Reclamation), as well as both existing and target customers;
• Screening and documenting business development and proposal activities in RTI’s contact and opportunity management system;
• Communicating directly with contacts and clients including travel to locations to gather technical inputs for proposals; identify local partners;
• Leading, planning, preparing, and reviewing proposals;
• Tracking and evaluating emerging hydropower market opportunities and identifying pathways to increased capture through organizational growth beyond existing capacities.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
• Master’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, or related field, with a focus on water resources management, and a minimum of 10-years of technical expertise in the hydropower industry, or equivalent education/experience, is required (i.e. Bachelor’s degree and 12-years relevant experience);
• Demonstrated track record of success in business development, client engagement, proposal development, and project / program management;
• Proven ability to effectively plan and implement strategic business plans, including formation and cultivation of strategic alliances in the hydropower / water resources sector;
• Experience working with, and demonstrated understanding of, North American and international hydropower client needs;
• Experience with FERC licensing and dam safety regulations, including but not limited to Part-12 inspections, hydropower relicensing, PFMAs, and EAPs.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
• Critical and strategic thinker, able to identify issues and opportunities, provide solutions and reach consensus with multiple parties;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated successful track record in building relationships with clients; ability to interact effectively and positively with all levels of internal and external clients and colleagues;
• Ability to work independently and collaborate with others to incorporate and enhance technical capital outside area of primary expertise;
• Excellent interpersonal, networking and presentation skills;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
Relevant writing samples may be requested. Must be able to work in the U.S. without requirement of sponsorship.
Internal Number: 18009
About RTI International
RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services in health and pharmaceuticals, advanced technology, survey and statistics, education and training, economic and social development, and the environment. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.