We are looking for a Supplier Technical Engineer (STE) to join us in our Superior Gear Facility located in Gardena, CA. This facility is the world leader in the production of Epicyclic Gear Boxes used on Solar’s Gas Turbine Engines. Joining our team at Superior Gear facility will have you working in a fast paced, collaborative environment that gets the job done. We are a small, family oriented team, where safety is our number one priority. The position of Supplier Technical Engineer (STE) is an integral part of the supplier relationship acting as a liaison between internal customers and external suppliers and provides leadership in resolution of quality problems associated with purchased materials and engineering issues. This position provides great cross functional exposure as you would be working with various teams internally from Operations, Engineering and NPI teams.
As the STE at this facility you would:
- Have technical accountability for the assigned purchase parts from NPI (initial concept) through the product life cycle, including all aspects of quality management.
- Develop and distribute quality metrics and monitor supplier quality performance data and trends.
- Develop and implement strategies for supplier performance improvements, leveraging root cause analysis and corrective and preventative action methodologies.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining a thorough knowledge of technological developments and trends for guidance of commodity teams in advancement of design, quality, manufacturing and cost optimization.
- Coordinate with engineering personnel on matters regarding Concurrent Product and Process Development (CPPD), New Product Introduction (NPI), and Continuous Process Improvement (CPI).
- Provide input into the supplier selection process as a technical subject matter expert including participation on survey teams, collaboration with Sourcing Specialists and Buyers in supplier qualification, selection and ongoing evaluation.
- Participate in design and process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Lead the PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) and work with Design Engineering in developing the FAPITP (First Article Production Inspection Test Plan).
- Technical Degree and a minimum of three years of experience or equivalent engineering or manufacturing experience and a minimum of five years job-related experience.
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes used to produce components and assemblies and knowledge of shop operations and maintenance procedures.
- Familiarity with engineering practices & process planning (interpretation of drawings, tooling concepts, Non-Destructive Testing (NDT), Functional Test, etc).
- Highest level of ethics and professionalism.
- Strong analytical problem solving skills, ability to use and communicate statistical and problem solving tools.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills strongly preferred in dealing with sensitive issues, developing others and reaching consensus on specific actions, inside and outside of Solar.
- Heat treat process experience.
- Tools and techniques of 6 Sigma methodology are requirements and may be attained through completion of 6 Sigma training following entry into this position. Familiarity with project management and Design of Experiment (DOE).
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles
- Familiarity with quality management principles.
Minimum Education Level
Minimum Years of Experience
- Solar Turbines offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vacation, 401k, incentive bonus, tuition reimbursement and professional development/advancement opportunities.
- This position does not qualify for relocation.
- Applicants must be currently eligible to work in the country in which this position is located. For information on employment eligibility in the United States, please visit the U.S. Immigration Services website.
- Solar Turbines is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply. Solar Turbines conducts Drug Screens and Background Checks.