Purpose and Scope:
- Responsible for continually improve the Watts Water Technologies supplier base.
- The Supplier Quality Engineer is expected to accomplish this by driving supplier improvement efforts by partnering with Global Commodity Sourcing team, and collaborating with Watt’s other internal departments, such as Plant Quality, Overseas Supplier Quality teams, engineering, and by working directly with Watts’s suppliers.
- The Supplier Quality Engineer takes care of all supplier data including all elements of supplier surveillance, maintains the accuracy & completeness of the supplier quality database, maintains supplier metrics (i.e. the supplier scorecard), updates/maintains the supplier quality manual, supplier risk management, and ensures there is proper alignment of supplier surveillance inspections between the sites and our suppliers.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work with Supplier Quality staffs at Watts manufacturing sites to ensure supplier performance is regularly reported and that appropriate and timely corrective actions are implemented
- Conduct supplier audits to drive process standardization, act as key contributor to Watts’s supplier quality management process; acts as the primary contact with suppliers on quality-related issues during both the supplier maintenance and supplier selection process.
- Champion supplier continuous improvement initiatives with Global Commodity Sourcing teams
- Take ownership of supplier quality improvement and drive closure of quality improvement plan and activities.
- Responsible to communicate and resolve supplier-related process problems; Participates in selection of suppliers in the design and development phase as well as the production phase to ensure that the supplier's current and future capabilities will meet the company's needs.
- Ensure that the supplier selection process is followed in accordance with the company guidelines.
- Work with Global Commodity team to develop and prioritize an auditing schedule to ensure that designated suppliers are audited on a regular basis to ensure GMP's, ISO, and company's quality standards are achieved.
- Participate in supplier scorecard reviews along with Sourcing Manager to assess suppliers on their ability to meet quality, delivery, and service levels.
- Conducts supplier audits and, through the SCAR program, ensures the supplier implements and maintains any resulting corrective action program, and ensures timely closure of SCARs.
- Audits and evaluates suppliers' internal processes to assess their overall compliance to the organization and regulatory requirements, including sub-suppliers, and provides feedback to sourcing team to improve their operation.
- Develops a world class Supplier Management Program through the use of Six Sigma and Lean methodologies.
- Develops and maintains an SPC program and evaluates the results for continuous improvement and assists suppliers in process validation.
- Supports product transfers to contract manufacturing sites, and participates in development of required quality plans and protocols.
- Develops supplier-related quality metrics for presentation to senior management during periodic reviews.
EMPLOYEE CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Collaborate Across Workgroups; Communicate Effectively
- Deliver High Quality Work, Drive for Results
- Initiate Positive Change
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- A Bachelor's degree in a related technical discipline along with a minimum of 4 years of quality engineering experience in industry is required. Minimum 5 years of experience in industry as SQE or QE with strong experience in ISO. Understanding of UL, NSF, WQA (Water Quality Association) would be preferred.
- Low cost regions supplier experience is desired.
- Experience with supplier quality and quality system requirements in industry is required.
- Auditor training with previous auditing experience. CQE are preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership skills and problem solving abilities are required.
- A demonstrated knowledge of quality/continuous improvement tools such as Statistics, DOE is required. Six Sigma Green Belt Certification is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint including developing graphs and presentations.
- Experience in ISO quality system audits.
- Strong experience conducting audits at/with suppliers, and drive supplier improvement results
High In depth GD&T knowledge
- As directed by Manager:
- Improve suppliers quality PPM’s .
- Visit key suppliers, and review monthly scorecards
- Follow single SCAR and validate effectiveness of supplier corrective actions by auditing their processes.
- Train suppliers in problem solving techniques (8D), quality systems, PPAP and SPC, capability analysis.
- Perform a formal on-site review to all suppliers within assigned commodity; ensure closure of all corrective actions.
- Promote the Supplier Quality Manual and follow up with suppliers.
- Clarify with suppliers inspections methods using the control plan.
- Expedite deviations on urgent issues.
- Participate in customer complaints review meetings when suppliers are involved.
- Work with engineering/procurement qualifying suppliers and parts for new projects.
- Issue PPAP for new/revised parts and follow up.
- Perform on site PPAP when applicable.
- Qualify all new suppliers performing on-site audits, as
- Ensure company policies are followed.
- Enforce company safety policies.
- No Direct Reports.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, talk, and/or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work in office environment.
- May occasionally be required to perform job duties outside the typical office setting.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Travel Required: This position will require a minimum of 30% travel