The Department of Biology at Xavier University of Louisiana invites applicants for a tenure track position in biology at the assistant professor level beginning August 2023. The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in biological sciences.
The department seeks candidates whose area of concentration is Genomics. Candidates with academic interest and training in, Metagenomics are encouraged to apply. Active research in one of the areas listed above is preferred. The ideal candidates course assignments will include undergraduate biology courses as well as graduate courses for the department’s genetic counseling program which we are currently developing. Qualified candidates should possess a promising record of scholarship, a strong research agenda, and be able to support our growing department of HBCU students through advising as well as mentorship. The department is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds, minimizing barriers, and increasing equity and completion rates between members of different demographic groups.
Teach undergraduate biology courses as well as graduate courses in the genetic counseling program. Mode of instruction may include in- person, hybrid, remote, and/or any combination thereof.
Supervise and mentor undergraduate research students leading to publications and professional presentations.
Develop and sustain independent and externally funded research.
Advise Biology and genetic counseling majors.
Develop and sustain independent and externally funded research
Participate in service activities for the department, university, and
The Department of Biology is the largest in the College of Arts & Sciences at Xavier with a total of 750-800 majors each year. There are 24 full-time faculty members ready to serve all students, including three former XU- Biology graduates. Faculty members in the department are research active and continue to provide opportunities for our students to receive research experience. The department has taken the lead on redesigning and revising our pre-med curriculum so that our students will excel on the redesigned Medical College Admissions Test and to address the growing and urgent national problem of declining numbers of African American professionals in the field of medicine.
• Ph. D. in the biological sciences with an emphasis in Genomics; • Commitment to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students in the biological sciences; and graduate students in genetic counseling;
• Teaching and research experience in Molecular Genetics (Genomics, Proteomics, Molecular Genetics, Cancer Genomics, Environmental Genetics, Metagenomics); • Commitment to developing an active research program within the area of the applicant’s expertise, including seeking external funding and submitting scholarly articles; • Established record of research productivity, proportional to experience, in an area mentioned above; and • Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
• Advanced training beyond the Ph.D., e.g. Post-doc, industry, etc;
• Experience teaching undergraduate courses in biological sciences;
• Experience teaching biological sciences to a diverse student body and knowledge of effective strategies (e.g. culturally responsive or inclusive pedagogy, awareness of issues that may affect the success of minoritized students) supporting underrepresented groups in STEM; and
• Awareness of pedagogical best practices and ongoing commitment to developing and maintaining knowledge in this area
Xavier University of Louisiana, a storied university with a history and alumni achievements known throughout the world, invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Enrollment Management. Xavier is located in New Orleans and is the nation’s only Historically Black and Catholic institution of higher learning. Founded in 1925, the University is mission driven and committed to the promotion of a more just and humane society. Reaffirming its African American heritage and its Catholic tradition as it prepares to celebrate its Centennial, Xavier continues to offer its students a superb education and leadership development experiences, which are substantial and enduring.